Thursday, November 24, 2011

Army Cake

This cake was for my nephew's birthday party.  He had planned to have a sleepover with a few of his friends, and play "Capture the Flag" with them.  So we decided an army cake would be fun.  (Turns out his dad surprised him by hiring a laser tag company to come out, and he and his friends got to play laser tag - coolest birthday party ever, huh??!)  
This was one of the easiest cakes I've done.  I wanted the icing to look like mud, so I didn't have to worry much about getting it smooth and neat.
I decided to make the cake "camo" inside, using a chocolate batter, and a vanilla batter tinted army green.  (I didn't get a good pic of the cut cake, however.)
The icing was a chocolate buttercream.  I tinted part of it army green, and part of it a darker chocolate, to get the gradient I wanted.  And of course my nephew had plenty of army men to decorate it with!!


--October 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment