Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Chicken Pot Pie

Disclaimer:  I am SO trying to be Pioneer Woman with this post....


This is not my Grandma's chicken pot pie.  I can't make hers like she does, so I've given up trying.  I love to eat it when she makes it, but I prefer making this version for myself.  


I took pictures last month, intending to blog this, but am just now getting around to writing it...actually, I made the chicken pot (my husband's nickname for it) tonight for dinner, so that was my reminder.  (I also made a variation from my usual recipe, so I'll have to update with those changes after we eat it tonight.)


I originally got the recipe from this cookbook, and I've made some modifications over the years I've been making it.  

The grid is multiple servings of the recipe already calculated for you, so that you can make multiple recipes at a time!  I usually make just 1 recipe...it is for 2 pies (12 servings), and I sometimes even split that into 3 pies.  I usually make this when I'm taking dinner to someone.  I make one for them, and one for my family - sometimes one for the freezer, depending on the number of people eating.  It's so easy to double (triple, etc.) and have an extra in the freezer or help out a friend who needs a meal!


SO, without further ado, here it is!
Chop 1 cup each: onions, celery, and carrots.
Saute vegetables along with 1/3 cup butter over medium heat until tender.  Use a big skillet (or wok) cause you're going to add lots more stuff!
Once the vegetables are tender, stir in 1/2 cup flour....
...and cook (stirring constantly) until it's smooth and forms a kind of paste on the vegetables. 
Then stir in 2 cups chicken broth, and 1 cup evaporated milk.  
Cook this mixture, stirring constantly, until thickened and bubbly.  It does cook up pretty quickly, so you won't get bored with all the stirring!


Then, if you're like me and tend to do things as you go, turn the heat off and just let it sit while you get your chicken chopped.
 This time I cooked a whole chicken, plus some extra thighs in the crockpot, because I needed chicken for a couple other recipes.  Sometimes I use leftover rotisserie chicken, or I roast the chicken.  I didn't love cooking in the crockpot, because I forgot about it, and it got a little overdone, so it tasted a bit dry in the pie.  (But I think I was the only one who noticed it...)


Anyway - back to the recipe...
Chop your chicken (4 cups), and thaw 1 cup of frozen peas.  I usually do this by running hot water over them in a colander, because I always forget to take them out of the freezer ahead of time!
 Mix in the chicken & peas.  Then, add in 1 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp pepper.  Don't forget these, because they're very important!  I forgot them once, and adding it to your plate after the fact just doesn't do the trick.
Then, dump your filling in a pie pan.  I usually use a disposable one when I'm making food for someone, or freezing it.  This is where I vary from the printed recipe.  You're supposed to put a pie crust in the bottom of the pan, but I usually don't do that.  I'm a little lazy sometimes. 
 Then arrange your (top, if you're using 2) crust over the filling.  I usually use a store-bought rolled crust, but tonight I experimented with my very first homemade crust.  I'll update you on how that went after we eat it!!
 Brush the store-bought crust with melted butter to make it more decadent.


If you're freezing the pot pie, this is the point where you cover, seal, and freeze it.  Then, when you're ready to eat, thaw it completely before you cook.


To cook: Bake uncovered for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.  Then bake covered with foil for 30 more minutes, to keep the crust from over-browning.  (I have also baked it covered for the whole time, then browned the crust under the broiler for a few minutes.  This works ok, especially if you want to use the time-bake feature on your oven, but it's better the first way.)
Dish up and enjoy!!





No comments:

Post a Comment