Tuesday, October 25, 2011

1st Birthday Cake

My daughter's first birthday cake was the first decorative cake I had ever made.  I actually did my first "practice" cake a full month before her birthday, just in case it was a major fail, and I had to order a cake!!
 This was the first practice cake.  I stayed away from coloring the base fondant layer, because I was concentrating on actually making the fondant.
 This was practice cake number 2.  I was really practicing the color combinations, and decided to just do it on a round 2-layer (9-inch) cake.  It kind of looks like a bubble, doesn't it??
AND, the final cake!  Some kid at the party tried to stick a finger in it.  (I also had mini cupcakes...you can see them barely in the corner of the pic.)  We almost forgot to take a picture of the final cake!  I had to make my husband grab the camera as I was starting to cut it.
This was her smash cake.  Kind of ugly, but she didn't care.  I've since made some improvements in my buttercream technique. 

--August 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment